6.23.2004

Such a fevered pitch! I can't wait to see this new Michael Moore movie. I've heard so many things from both sides of the spectrum. Like I said, I can't wait. I'm going to try to see if I can bootleg the audio. Probably can't, but oh well...

One thing I'm not prepared for is some of the footage. Apparently there's a real beheading in this movie. (Hey Mike, that's why the MPAA originally rated it R, give it up and tell Cuomo to go home because it almost sounds like NC-17, so stop pressing your luck) After seeing the Berg video, I can assure you all that a beheading is not something that you want to see. Regardless, I'm still hoping that this movie is as important as Moore trumps it up to be. I hope he checked his facts better than he did on Columbine, too. The last thing we need is more ammo for those right wing pundits. Now check out this drive...

Despite some technical glitches, my show actually went off pretty well last week. I'm returning again this week, so be prepared and tune in.

I haven't decided on a topic for a report yet, but I'm leaning towards the illegal bombing campain against Laos. I just saw a documentary on Free Speech TV about it yesterday. I never even knew about it because the government and military both hid it from the public. Congress was lied to about it as well.... very disturbing. We dropped over 100,000,000 ordinances on the country. That's more than we dropped on Japan and Germany in WWII combined. About two tons of explosives for every man woman and child in Laos. The big problem is there was heavy use of cluster bombs, or CBUs. Cluster bombs are small grenade sized explosives, loaded with ball bearings, that are dropped from planes in containers which hold thousands of them. The container opens up in mid-air, and fins on the bomblets (or "bombies" as Laotians call them) spin the devices which activates an internal fuse. They're supposed to explode on contact. Unfortunately, it is estimated that up to 30% of bombies never explode or arm themselves. This leaves the countryside littered with extremely dangerous bombs just waiting to go off. What's worse is they're the shape and size a little ball, so children are apt to pick them up and play with them. In many ways, bombies are almost worse than land mines. It is estimated that Laos has anywhere from 10 to 30 million of these things lying around. Dozens can be cleared from any village in a week, only to uncover dozens more next week. It's terrible.

What makes this issue relevant to current events is that cluster bombs were used in Afghanistan and Iraq. Right in front of us we have a good example of the long term effects of dropping such devestating weapons, yet our military continues to use them.

What can you do? We'll talk about that. Tune in.

-slacker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home